If you ask anyone of us what we want in life for ourselves and for our loved ones, the most common answers are “health” and “happiness” (or something similar to that nature.) So how can we achieve that ? How can we bring more happiness into our lives? Because lets face it, when we are happy, those around us feel that and are happier too. When you are happy with all aspects of your life, we tend to fight less, forgive people easier, and we like to look for a silver lining in every cloud. We all have bad moments, bad days, or even bad years. How can we turn those negative feels into positive ones?
This does not happen overnight. It takes drive and practice to keep going. While you may not see results right away, they will slowly start to transform your life before you even know it. At first, you will start to notice small changes. Eventually, you will be able to look back and see how much you have changed in the past year and you will be able to see that you have a better quality of life because of it. Happiness is something we all strive for and want in our lives, so let’s do our best and try and transform our lives.
Here are some ways to bring the positive energy in (resulting in more happiness) while pushing the negative out:
- Live in the present: try not to dwell on what happened in the past or what may happen in the future. If you are at work, concentrate on the tasks at hand. If you are going out to dinner, enjoy yourself and try not to let the past or the future worry you. This takes a great deal of practice and patience. Be prepared to know that it is easier for minds to wander…try and forget about whatever is bothering you for the time being and set it aside until later.
- Set Aside “Thinking” Time: Because one of the keys to happiness is to live fully in the present, you may think that does not give you any time to think about real struggles and real decisions that have to be made (and many times there is a timeline on our decision making.) Do this: set aside a certain amount of time in your day (maybe a half hour in the morning, 20 minutes in the evening, or both) and focus on what is bothering you. Try and develop a solution to your problem or come to a decision. You may need to think about the same things for a number of days or even a week or even a month. But setting aside time will allow your brain to work out the issues and by giving yourself a “break” after that, it helps you to live more in the moment. Remember to choose a time of day that is quiet, the least chaotic, and gives you the most time to think.
- Create a Routine- Many times, women and mothers especially, have a to-do list taller than themselves. While we all try and stay organized, it can be hard when we are thrown a curve ball. That throws us off our game. So, try and create yourself a “schedule” of sorts but do not make it rigid. Be flexible because life happens and things are not always black and white. Stick to the routine as best you can whether its making lunches, making dinner, doing laundry, driving the kids around, working your part time or full time job, etc. Research has shown that happier people tend to follow a routine throughout their day, leading to feelings of greater productivity whether in home or in the workplace.
- Sleep More- I know….when is the question. Haha. Again, research has shown that happier people get more sleep. When you get more sleep, you can stay focused, you have energy to accomplish things, and you get ride of the “malaise” feelings. When you are making your routine, try and find an extra 30 minutes (at least- more is better) that you can add to your sleep cycle. Maybe cut out something of lower priority if you are able to. Believe me, this is a nice and easy way to jump start your way to happiness. You will start to see results sooner rather than later!
- Create “me” time- I know we cannot do this every day or even every week, but every other week or even once a month, plan something that you look forward too. It does not have to always be a vacation or a trip. Sometimes it can be a night out to dinner with friends, a trip to the hair salon, or something else that you love doing. You will look forward to this and subconsciously you will be happier because you have something fun and exciting right around the corner.
Thanks all for reading. Blessings,